Handmade Monday 31

Hello and welcome to another Handmade Monday.

It’s not often I take A Full Day Off . . .  but in between painting a small caravan park

as well as endless first day at school photo frames, I squeezed in a day off this week!  Yay!! I love what I do but it’s so necessary to take time off occasionally too :-)   (I’m working all bank holiday weekend to make up for it!)

personalised caravan plaque

Dave sold his soul 2011

A Full Day Off for me tends to involve leaving the house for the whole day.  So on Friday, we decided to go out for the day.  We had half a plan to go to North Wales – the weather forecast looked ok.

But at the last minute we changed our minds and went to York.  Unfortunately it was so last minute we forgot to check the weather forecast for York.

York was as wet as you’ve ever seen it.

The rain didn’t dampen our spirits (unlike our socks) although how this living statue coped, I’ll never know.  His umbrella looked pretty inadequate and I’ll bet his socks ended up even wetter than mine did.  I hope he earned enough to make it worthwhile!

living statue in York

Living Statue

If you’ve been to York, you’ll have been to the Shambles, surely?

little shambles

Little Shambles

Part of the Shambles dates back to the 14th century and some of the buildings are so close they almost touch on the upper storeys.

the shambles

The Shambles

Not surprisingly, there are some absolutely lovely gift shops housed in those old buildings.  It was quite exciting to spot one of Elissa’s gorgeous handmade brooches in one of the shop windows!  York seems to have more than its fair share of small independent shops, which makes for a delightful and fascinating place to shop.

We had a lovely day – in spite of the bucketloads of rain – although when our shoes will finally dry out is anybody’s guess.  While we’re waiting, please do leave your blog link below!

1. Glad to hear you had a day off – it is important to get away now and then to recharge your batteries, and what better place than somewhere as fantastic as York – pity about the weather.

2. Pickle-Lily says:

I’d love to go shopping in York! Thank-you for the brilliant plaque, my daughter loves it! It is up already – only 118 sleeps to Christmas!!!!
    Jo x

3. It’s great to get a day off. And York (even in the rain) is lovely. Probably meant for fewer tourists around.

4. Adaliza says:

Thanks Wendy for another week of HM! I usually comment on other people’s, and don’t say anything to you – will remedy in future! York is one of those places I’d love to visit, unlucky with the weather this time. Think you should take days off more often! Love the little caravans!

• Wendy says:

It’s a lovely place and even in the rain I’d recommend it (we spent some time in York Minster too). We plan to go back when the sun is shining! Thanks for your comment x

5. Caroline says:

I love York, thank you for the trip down memory lane and well done on having a well deserved day off.

6. Great caravans Wendy, it’s good you had a day off. York is lovely (I’d prefer it without the rain). I may not be able to join in HM this week but looking forward to seeing everyone else’s.

Jan x

7. Rita says:

Wend I love York and the Shambles, All those little shops are magical. Like steping back in time when everthing wasnt all mass produced.
    I have family live in York, My cousin has a Bridal shop in Mickelgate.
    Hope I can get this comment on, I am havig a nightmare with some of the blogs.My comment just wont go on for some reason.
    Well fingers crossed here we go…………

8. Maria says:

Glad to hear you managed to get a day off. It sounds like you had a great time in spite of the rain. I’ve never been to York but it sounds lovely.
    Love your caravans, thanks for hosting Handmade Monday.

9. Winnie says:

What a lovely day. I never brn to York but after your day out. I want to visit York now.

10. Martha says:

love your caravanas! you’re a truly a caravan and campervan lady!the details are so cool – little heart and bunting! fab!

sorry to hear you got wet while visiting york. i am afraid this rainy weather is all over in the uk now. i meant to visit york this year but we had to skip it due toshortage of time and money. i wanted to see the viking centre. never mind! ill be back next year! :)

wow, the statue must have been very patient! :D

11. Gifts by Jenny says:

I haven’t been to York for years – but I do remember The Shambles, and also some lovely little shops! Sounds like you had a great time despite the British weather – sometimes you just have to grab your waterproofs and get out there don’t you?
    By the way, we all love our family plaque that you made us! xx

• Wendy says:

Yeah, ‘cept we weren’t expecting rain (I know, I know!) and we didn’t go waterproofed up! Still, OH keeps a *huge* umbrella in his car, for which I was very grateful – my little folding one in my handbag was totally inadequate. Glad you like your plaque :-)

12. Great photos – haven’t been there for years! I’m thinking the living statue must have had darn good makeup – it’s a wonder he wasn’t sitting in a puddle of gunk. The caravans are lovely – I admire your patience in painting them all.

13. WOW your so busy, so like you had a great time shopping though, everyone needs a day of now and again x

14. Debs Scanlon says:

I love your caravans but having just got back from a very soggy weekend camping in Wales they definately need more puddles to be realistic! Aberystwyth very similar weather to York by the looks.

15. Helen says:

I absolutely love York, you’re right it is a lovely place to visit and shop :)

16. Anna says:

We went to York just after our wedding, and loved the shambles – brings back some happy memories to look at your pictures. Glad you made the most of your day off!

Love your ‘Home Sweet Home’ signs from an earlier post by the way.

Anna xx

17. RosMadeMe says:

Phew! Just made Handmade Monday this week. Wendy love the latest caravan design… however do you think of the slogans, they always make me smile?

• Wendy says:

Sometimes the customers think them up for me – that one was a customer request. Made me chuckle as I can imagine the moaning and complaining that went into the comment! I imagine Dave as a hairy biker type that has never done caravanning till his wife talked him into it!

18. made By Ewe says:

I had a lovely time Christmas shopping in York one year. I had a day off today too but still ended up talking Knitty things with a stall holder at Dunsfold wings and wheels airshow, of all places. Crafty inpsiration everywhere!

19. Wendy says:

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments and for the links too. :-)

20. Kim Barreiro says: